Urban Fantasy

Monday, January 10, 2005

One more day out in the canyon

The end is in sight! I have narrowed the list down to three candidates to replace me... RB will choose one in a dramatic ceremony broadcast live before a studio audience, after having enjoyed exotic cups of coffee furnished by our friends at ABP with the lucky final ladies. Plan is to have her choose one by the end of the week, then train the poor thing all next week. This means... I will be FREE as of Inauguration. How appropo, don't you think? "New" administration, "new" lease on life.

A lot of my fellow liberals are refusing to attend the Inaugural festivities, be they the swearing-in or a ball. Now, I obviously won't be going to the Black Tie and Boots (or for that matter, the Christian Coalition Ball a la Inauguration 2000). Despite my lack of enthusiasm, there's something very reassuring about the pomp and circumstance that accompanies Inauguration. I take comfort in the fact that the ceremony is essentially unchanged despite whoever is being sworn in, and that the ritual allows the citizen to separate the office of the presidency from the individual who holds it. It reminds me that, in the immortal words of J.M. Barrie, "all this has happened before, and it will all happen again." I have to believe that the Bush administration is just another chapter in history, rather than the harbinger of our national doom.

Of course, I don't have a job in the pipeline to fill my days. X is convinced that I should get my butt to grad school and start hoarding very expensive diplomas in arcane subjects. Don't get me wrong, grad school will happen in the future. That being said, it feels like the kind of thing to wait for until you're really passionate about it. I understand why people go to grad school to advance their careers, and think it's a noble pursuit, but that isn't why I want to go. I'd love to be able to soak in knowledge, to be slutty with a library card and gluttonous with writing and papers. I'd go back when I knew I just couldn't do without that kind of atmosphere and lifestyle.

So the plan, as it stands, is to half-heartedly keep applying for writing jobs. What I'd really like to do, however, is travel. I keep on finding myself perusing European backpacking sites, looking for the best hostel in Prague and the cheapest flight to Rome. Even sent home for birth certificates so I can get my passport ASAP. It sounds crazy-- quit job, keep lease and bills, jet off to Europe. The more I think about it, tho, the more practical it seems. If I don't go now I'll never go, at least not in the seat-of-the-pants, hostel-budget way I want to. Besides... when have I ever done anything life-changingly, gloriously wonderful? And don't I deserve some kind of reward after my year with RB?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home